Wednesday, March 29, 2023

This is What I know about Art - Response

 Caterina Da Souza 

This is What I know about Art - Response 

"He wrote that "If a race has no history, it has no worthwhile tradition, it becomes a negligible factor in the thought of the world, and it stands in danger of being exterminated." 

When I read this quote it just kicked me. In the moment it made me realize how worried I am about the things that happen in my life, for instance: family, work, school and my personal problems. I am so worried about all of that, that I do not take a moment to think about how important its to be informed and also show to world my culture, my race, where I come from, my ancestors history. When I used to live in Peru after I moved there from Argentina. I feel in love with the history, the culture, traditions, the food. I got very emotional just thinking about how I used to love dancing our traditional dances, such as, musica negra, marinera, saya, huaino, etc. However, I just stopped doing all of that since I came to this country. I wasn't fully educated about all the history of my beautiful Perú but I had just enough of that culture education that made me ask myself, if I don't educate my future children, my siblings, my friends, then who will? I don't want my traditions to disappear for anyone I know not to be at least know a little of my culture. I want it to live forever. Social media's created communications to become so easy to do but at the same time so difficult to let us express ourselves in a deeper way that we end up forgetting where we come from. This book made me realize how much I want to show the world who I am and where I come from so proudly. I loved it.


"I left my desk to take a walk, but as I made my way to the exit, I began to cry. I looked around and it was still just a regular Saturday for everyone else. I didn't think much of it until a few days had passed, and it was just another Tuesday followed by just another Wednesday. It was as if Ferguson wasn't a reality for my coworkers" 

Reading this part of the book was a mix of feelings, unfortunately most of those feelings where negative more than positive. While reading the names of the victims Kimberli named in the book, I looked at each of the names and the feeling of impotence I had was so strong I could not help it so I started crying really bad while at work. What an eye opening book. It made me realize and understand the problem here in this country in a way I never have. I remember hearing about the BlackLivesMatter movement and may say I was ignorant in the topic. To think about one of the victims she named and realizing I was one of the people she was speaking about when she says it was a regular Saturday for everyone else. I came here to this country in 2015 so I didn't know about the injustice these victims received back in 2014 but I was definitely here when the incident of Jorge Floyd happened. From now on I pray to God to please protect everyone that doesn't deserve the same treatment these poor innocent babies and adults received for the color of their skin but if anything like this happens again, I do not want to confront it the same way I did when the incident of Jorge Floyd happened. I do not want to read another story like this and see it on my phone and then feel bad and act like nothing happened tomorrow. I am going to make sure I sum my voice to the movement I will protest and take this so serious as if the person who experience this injustice was one of my own. I do not want to act the same way I acted when something like this happened. I thank this book and God for creating Kimberli and for teaching me so much and such good lessons. I am grateful for being able to read a story of a person who is proud of her race and culture. Made me think of how such a small book can teach me so so much. 


Here I show some of my memories in Perú, proudly showing just a bit part of my Peruvian Culture.  

Marinera Norteña (Perú)

Musica Negra - Lando, negroide (Perú)

Selva Amazónica Peruana (Perú)

Saya Peruana (Perú) 



No comments:

Post a Comment