Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Self-Introduction: Naomi S. Yamada-Padilla



5 things about me:

1. I am a mother to two adult-aged children: 24 (my son) and 22 (my daughter)

2. I am a Criminal Justice and Public Health major with an anticipated graduation date of Spring 2024

3. I collect anything Snoopy

4. I am of Japanese, Korean and Puerto Rican extraction

5. I speak Japanese fluently with an ability to understand both spoken and written Spanish, and seeking to master Korean as well

5 social issues:

1. Feminism

2. Gun control

3. Protecting those vulnerable populations such as women, children, LGBTQIA+, disabled

4. Quality healthcare is a human right and NOT a privilege

5. Mental health care

The artist that inspired me when writing a research paper for my Human Sexuality class was Mr. Lee Wan was commissioned by Dior to produce a piece of art. He decided to take a picture of a young Korean woman, who was holding a pink Dior bag in the backdrop of a seedy environment, thus suggesting that she might have been a prostitute. Korean feminists became up in arms because they felt this depicted Korean woman as being materialistic, suggesting that she would prostitute herself n order to afford an expensive handbag. Quite to the contrary, the message behind this photograph that was taken is that Mr. Lee Wan was against capitalism, the root of all evil; however, a necessary evil in modern day society, Needless to say, due to the negative backlash that Dior received, they decided to take down that photo from their exhibition and in reality, the ability to express one's artistic talent was thus squashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment