Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Yoko and I

My name is Farrah Pepino, and I am studying Computer Science. I have a profound passion for the arts despite choosing this career path. Coming from a family of artists, my world has always revolved around it. Growing up, I heard my uncles, who are tattoo artists, share their detailed critics of musical bands, artists, and actors as they worked. I also watched my mother draw and my father play the guitar and drums. I was immensely inspired by their burning love for the arts that I explored both forms. I make music, paint portraits, and take photographs. In addition, I have an interest in architecture, interior design, and fashion. Having such a great appreciation for works of art, to me, is a blessing. Art allows you to see beauty outside the standards of society to see beauty in all things. Understanding arts also allows you to develop empathy for people and with this empathy, the love for the environment also grows. The five social justices that I mostly care about are free/low-cost healthcare and education, equality, food insecurity, refugee crisis, and climate justice. I believe that no one should ever be denied their rights to education, opportunity, security, life, and so on.


The artist I resonate with is Yoko Ono. Having been introduced to her in class, I saw myself in her right away. Yoko Ono, the Japanese multimedia artist, gained popularity after she married John Lennon of the Beatles. I believe that she deserves more recognition for what she does than for being someone's wife. I love her art style. It is minimalistic, yet conveys full of meanings. I love how she presents her advocacies to the world through her artworks. As I mentioned earlier, I empathize with everyone so much that my love for the environment also came into being. Those are the similarities between Yoko and me, our support for peace and climate justice.


Here, I drew a sketch of myself, inspired by the art style used in John Lennon and Yoko Ono's drawing from the Personal Collection of Keith Haring, "Let's Have A Dream" (1977).









 




No comments:

Post a Comment