Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Renee's Digital Selfie (Inspired)


 What do you want?
What Am I Doing Here?
I Should Ask You the Same
, 2022














I am Renee Ramos, a B.F.A Illustration preparing for my show in the spring. I love science-fiction and fantasy art which makes up the bulk of my portfolio, along with my collection of happy families and work illustrations. While working, I spend time listening to political podcasts and keeping up to date on what is going on with LGBTQ politics. I also listen to a lot of queer history stories, which makes me grateful that I could live freely during this time period. However, with too much news consumption, I run into terrible news about violence against gay and trans people and how it is still an ongoing problem due to conservative dogma. I also cannot believe that women's autonomy is still being debated. I am very passionate about many socio-political issues, and I believe everyone should be passionate about fighting for fundamental human rights for others. 

For my artist, I chose Jenna Gribbon, a feminist portrait painter whose primary subject confronts the gendered gaze. Her paintings of her recently wedded wife, Toress Scott, feature the subject in powerful poses, and intimate compositions, most of which have a mirror that reflects her gaze back at the viewer. Her work can be considered activism in the art world, as she is a queer artist, making art that goes against the male gaze and is a commentary about how women are viewed as objects or fetishized by their nudity. Gribbon's paintings of Torress aim to make the viewer uncomfortable as the portrait looks at the viewer as they look at her body. In the Frick gallery show Living Histories: Queer Views and Old Masters, What Am I Doing Here? I Should Ask You the Same, Gribbon was inspired by Hans Holbien's ornate paintings of Sir Thomas Moore and Thomas Cromwell. The two paintings have spent a century facing off against each other, as they were mortal enemies during their lives; Gribbon interrupts this fight with her painting of Torress, who is posed with power and intensity. Instead of painting the subject in profile, she is facing forward, legs spread with an expression that confronts the audience. Gribbon describes this painting as camp, considering the bright purple velvet suit, red coat, and six rings the subject wears. Gribbon states, " Painting women with incredible presence and power. It is something clearly lacking in the history of painting." Like her other work, this painting is about the gendered gaze, putting the woman in power instead of being objectified by the viewer. 

My selfie was inspired by a collection of Jenna Gribbon's paintings featuring the subject posing in front of a mirror in awkward angles, covering her eyes, and staring back at the viewer. I was also influenced by the commentary of What Am I Doing Here? I Should Ask You the Same, where the subject is forward facing and antagonizing. In addition, I wanted to take my profile because the angle is very dramatic and powerful in its own right. My profile and portrait also appear to hold different expressions; while one is more composed and distinguished, the other confronts the viewer. She has folded hands on her lap with her nose turned up, somewhat annoyed that the viewer interrupted her. Meanwhile, in the background, I have my self-portrait peeking over my shoulder, also looking at the viewer. Like this selfie, the portrait is annoyed that the viewer invaded her personal space. This selfie is a combination of my research and an homage to Jenna Gribbon's portrait work. 

The Self Portrait 
In Question 
2020 












No comments:

Post a Comment