Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Intervention Post (Gabriel)

 


                                                                   (Quick Sketch of the Skirt)

The issue I chose to make my intervention project is war. I am definitely anti war (not anti military but thats another conversation) and with the Russia Ukraine conflict going on I have been spending a lot of time thinking and researching the effects this war can have on the world. The designer Demna Gvasalia already made a fashion show dedicated to this conflict and I was extremely inspired by this. I am making a 3 piece collection from scratch named "war war war!" that will consist of a skirt made from vintage military jackets and shorts, Jeans and a denim jacket. I chose to use denim because it is a rugged material that reminds me of the roughness and rigidness that war represents. I am going to use a technique to distress and mend the denim and this will represent the destruction, and healing that countries and people need to do during and after the war. The process of making this denim is very labor intensive and each piece will take me about 12-16 hours of sewing. This is also representative of the slow and painful process that war is. I have made my own skirt pattern and sourced vintage Japanese denim directly from my manufacturer in Japan for the jeans and vintage Levis denim for the jacket. I am very excited to go through this process and I will take many photos along the way. I will provide show notes and let the class feel the clothing when I present. 

No comments:

Post a Comment