Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Intervention Idea

 For my intervention project I would like to focus on a specific part of the Civil Rights Movement that truly inspires me and represents who I am today. This is the natural hair community. The natural hair movement was a big part of the Civil Right Movement as it was a protest against Eurocentric beauty standards. The movement coined the term "Black is beautiful" which is a powerful affirmation. Issues stemming around natural hair is still prominent today where we still hear about Black people getting fired from their jobs for their natural hair being seen and unprofessional and even children getting kicked out of school for wearing their natural hair.

For my project, I would like to have a collage of individuals with their natural hair and have the words "Black is Beautiful" written over the photos. I think this will be a very inspiring and beautiful form of activism. I have attached some images that inspire my collage and the essence I want to capture. 





No comments:

Post a Comment