Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Farrah Pepino Intervention Idea 2/22/2022

I noticed how this generation has become materialistic, myself included; how everything revolves around getting this and getting that. Materialism forces us into comparing what we have with the possessions of others, and I find it very suffocating and not worth our time and energy. Hence, for my Intervention Project, I have planned to create an oil painting of four street vendors selling bananas. At first, I wanted it to be exhibited at a park where it usually is crowded. However, with the limited time that I have for this intervention, I have changed how I can physically interact with the audience. I designed a T-shirt with my artwork and came up with the slogan:  “Look around… Reflect”. 

Growing up in the Philippines, I had friends who lived with a lifestyle where their families could not afford to buy new clothes, nutritious food, and sometimes they would run out of water and electricity. There are also many homeless people, most of which are abandoned children. Although they seemed joyful and satisfied, it is truly heartbreaking still. It saddens me that while we obsess over having a more privileged lifestyle, many families worry about what they will be eating, how to pay for their bills, and get education. The objective of my intervention is to prompt people to be mindful of their blessings and privilege. I want them to realize that instead of focusing on what they don’t have, aggressively chasing possessions, they must always take a reality check. If they have enough money to give to people, I wish them to donate to charities, especially to invest in the youth. 


Inspirational quotes from the reading:

1. “Our creativity thrives when it can escape the chatter of our mind, or the chatter of other people. This can happen when we’re going out of town, or relaxing in the shower. When we can turn off the distractions and quiet our minds, it’s like a new channel opens up for creative thought. This is why some artists like to go on retreats”

2. “Living by a double standard, to us, means allowing ourselves a spectrum of success instead of a single point. It means having high standards that we aspire to, and understanding that we will usually fall short. This isn’t failure, it simply means we are human.”



Philippines (2022) by Farrah Pepino






No comments:

Post a Comment