Monday, May 15, 2023

This is What I know About Art

"This is What I Know About Art" by Kimberly Drew, an art curator, writer, and activist. The book provides a personal exploration of art, focusing on her experiences as a Black woman in the art industry and her observations on the power and potential of art.

Drew begins by discussing her childhood and college experience and how she developed her passion for art. She emphasizes the importance of representation in art, specifically for marginalized communities, and highlights how art can be a tool for activism. She then shares her experience working at the Studio Museum in Harlem and the impact it had on her knowledge of the art industry. 

One quote that stuck out to me was when she was explaining her situation with her grandfather passing away and how financial aid believed her family inherited his assets when in fact, they didn't. She says, "This nightmare, one experienced by so many families trying to pay for college, only worsened when I couldn't enroll in classes for the fall semester due to financial holds on my account" (13). Financial aid, in any situation, only makes things worse. While I and many others can relate to this at njcu, I honestly believed that it was just an njcu issue, not a "first gen across America" issue. 

Another quote that stuck out to me is when she explained her post-grad plans. She says, "That June, I began a paid fellowship at the creative time, a public art organization based in New York. Growing up in new jersey, I hated the idea of moving to New York. I wanted to travel far beyond the comforts of the east coast, but I could not say no to a paying gig (even if it was paying poorly)" (29). This is an unfortunate but fortunate reality of post-grad. The job market is different from when Drew was graduating, but it's never easy to find a job post-grad, but if you do, it's not going to be the perfect dream job. I might be lousy pay and require you to relocate to somewhere you don't want to live. The fortunate thing is it's a paying job.

"I could use my Instagram to illustrate my success, despite the odds. Maybe people would think, If they can do it, so can I" (34). I love this. When you're the first of your people to do something, make it a show. Put it on display. I remember when I went to study abroad, I was the first at my university to find my own program, get it approved, get funding, run their social media, etc., and I documented it. I wanted everyone to see that they can do it too. You become what you see. Drew is correct in showing people what free events and museums are out there to see. Cause if she can do it and show others, it will inspire them to do the same. 

Lastly, she says, "Real talk - working at a small and under-resourced art institution was a powerful, humbling experience" (39). She says this after saying she got her dream job as a social media manager back at the studio museum. She was asked to do more than just run their socials as the company was small and under-resourced. Another quote people can relate to, but the more important thing, is why did she stay? Why was this job serious to her? Because it was something she was already passionate about, as it connected her with #blacktwitter, her community. Her activism and supper power is using art activism to show her community what they're capable of and what change can look like. Kimberly Drew is a perfect example of how to bring activism and change into your corner of the world in your own unique way. 

Drew, Kimberly. This Is What I Know about Art. Penguin Workshop, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment