Sunday, May 14, 2023

Kimberly Drew Short Essay

 Kimberly Drew's "This Is What I Know About Art" was a great read in telling her journey with art and how not only changed her but allowed her to make change with others as well. From her beginnings during the college days coming to the realization of a lack in acknowledgement for black artists, she makes it a goal to learn more about them and give them the recognition they deserve. Things take a turn sadly during one of her classes with her professor saying "If I were an African American, I would see white guilt as equally offensive as outright racism." Hearing that had my taken back for a moment, the logic of needing to be someone else to compare racism was just wild to me. Her journey in using the media through her Facebook and blog to spread awareness of her experiences and acknowledgement of black artists was a wonderful thing to see because those were the starting points of her coming out of her shell and going on the make bigger acts.

I thought it was interesting how in the beginning she starts from having barely interest to fully commitment in learning more about art and succeeds in expanding their mind on many colored artists and spreading their names. Then at the end she then goes on the tell you the reader on how we can also make the change in ourselves whenever we want to, on how our activism is important for us to let out because of the change we can make if we are willing to give it a shot. At least that's how I interpreted it, and I really thought that was inspirational because to me it tells how even in dire situations where it seems that everyone's against you, your voice can make all the difference if you just give it a try. For me I think opening up to things during our previous interventions was a positive start and improvement in becoming more open just like how Kimberly Drew did during her college years.

Works Cited -  Drew, Kimberly. This Is What I Know About Art. Penguin Workshop. 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment