Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Lofsna's Final Intervention: Colorism







 

For my last intervention, I chose to expand on my previous interventions by using my previous projects as outlets to add onto my last one. While coming up with ideas, I contemplated what it is that I wanted to focus on so I could shed light onto my topic, raise awareness and for people to be able to engage and participate. For my final intervention I decided to use a black canvas portraying the oppression that darker skin folks face and put-up sticky notes of how people felt about colorism. I also wanted to create a montage of different people’s opinions on colorism, their experiences, activists who have raised awareness on the topic.

               Throughout all my interventions, I have done plenty of research regarding colorism. Colorism is a topic that is not talked about enough, people know that it exists yet disregard it, unwilling to confront the harsh truth. I chose colorism because like all the other important isms, colorism is the least of people’s concern, except for those it affects and the ones who must live through it daily. I have not experienced colorism but knowing that it exists and am able to use the resources already available to me to create some sort of impact was motivation enough.  While doing these projects, I have gained a lot of knowledge that I otherwise wouldn’t.

A lot of people have yet to widely acknowledge colorism’s existence whether it’s because they may not know about it or refuse to admit that it exists. Colorism is the social marginalization and systemic oppression of people with darker skin tone and the privile1ging of people with lighter skin tone. Where racism discriminates against people based on their racial identity, colorism discriminates based on the shade or tone of a person’s complexion. People of different races can have the same skin tone, and people of the same race can have different skin tones.

That means that this kind of bias can happen even among people of the same race or ethnicity. However, colorism is not self-imposed. It’s informed by centuries of racism and violence that forced individuals to align themselves with whiteness to survive.  Whether consciously or unconsciously, those with colorist attitudes perceive people with lighter skin tones as more educated, attractive, prestigious, and capable than those with darker skin tones.

“But art is also used to challenge authority and privilege, often precisely by challenging how those in power see the world.”

“Our sense of possibility is limited by what we can imagine, and our imaginations are bound by the culture within which we can imagine.”

“We can also create actions that propose radically new ways of making sense of reality. Instead of revealing the world at is, we here demonstrate the world as it should be, prefiguring the reality we desire.”

               While making this intervention, I did some research and discovered a couple of activists women who spoke about/against the issue. One of the activists was Alice walker, she’s known for being the first person to use the term “colorism.” In an essay from her 1983 book, in search of our mothers’ gardens, walker defines colorism as “prejudicial or preferential treatment of same race people based solely on their color.” I found about Nina Simone through a film that was made about her life and found out that she was an American classical singer, songwriter, pianist, and civil rights activist.

 

(162) Colorism - YouTube






No comments:

Post a Comment