Wednesday, March 22, 2023

This Is What I Know About Art

  

 

 

 

 

Brionna Dunkley

22  March 2023

 

                                            This Is What I Know About Art

In the book "This Is What I Know About Art," Kimberly Drew illustrates activism by promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in the art world. Drew is a writer, curator, and activist who uses her platform to highlight underrepresented viewpoints and advance social justice through the arts.

In the book, Drew provides personal experiences and reflections on how she first became interested in art and the significance of fostering a more diverse art community. She also discusses how art can be used to address issues of race, gender, and social inequality and highlights the work of several artists who use their art as a tool for activism, such as Mickalene Thomas and Carrie Mae Weems.

Three quotes in the book that stood out to me.” Art matters, artist’s voices are important in shaping society, and public spaces are places for creative and free expression.” pg.37 Art is significant because it allows people to express themselves in unique and creative ways. It allows people to communicate their thoughts, feelings, and ideas even when words fail. It is a form of creative expression that encourages people to think outside the box and experiment with new ideas. In addition to reflecting culture and history, it offers a glimpse into the beliefs, values, and experiences of previous generations. It enables us to gain a better understanding of and appreciation for our cultural heritage.

 I can relate to this quote because I was once told that my art was unimportant. I am a licensed cosmetologist, but before I could get this certification, I had to enroll in cosmetology school. During this time, I was in college and overwhelmed by dealing with my financial aid and not knowing how I would pay my school fees. So I left school to pursue my dream of becoming a hairstylist. Many people judged me and told me that I was making a terrible mistake, that I was wasting my time, and that doing hair wouldn't pay the bills. Despite everything, I continued to pursue my dreams. I believe that hairstylists play an important role in assisting people in maintaining healthy and stylish hair. Our abilities and expertise can make a significant difference in how a person looks and feels.  

The second quote I chose is from pg.61” If there is one thing that you can do, leave something for somebody else . . . You can work for someone else freedom. You can leave something for somebody else’s child. 

I know that working hard benefits not only oneself but also creates opportunities for future generations. When people work hard, they are more likely to succeed, which can lead to higher living standards and greater access to resources for themselves and their families. Their hard work and success, however, can have a positive ripple effect that extends beyond their immediate circle. If given the chance, I would genuinely love to give others the opportunity to succeed. While putting forth a lot of effort to assist another person, one is also paving the way for their success and well-being.  

If putting in a lot of effort and advocating for what I think is right can have a significant impact on someone's life and career choice, which motivates me to continue to strive for success. I hope that one day I will be able to show other young men and women that your career choice does not have to be centered on what pays well, but rather allows them to embrace who they are by doing something they enjoy.

Image preview Image preview 

Here are some pictures from when I graduated from cosmetology school, as well as some hairstyles I did on my clients that represent my form of artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment